WHAT'S DONE IS DONE

WHAT'S DONE IS DONE

Monday, September 21, 2009

Were we ever poor ?

I have realized that this will not be in order. The reason is some days I think of what I want to write and it might not be what happened next. So, I'm throwing the order of things right out the window. How's that?

In 1973, my dad had a massive heart attack and died. He had been having problems for a long time and was convinced he would die of a heart attack like his dad. He did. My mom bought a small white satin cross and it had tiny red roses mixed with babes breath on it. It had a pretty gold ribbon on it that said Grandpa. After the flowers dried, I put it in a dresser drawer and every once in a while I would pull it out and just hold it and cry because I missed my dad so much. I'm so grateful that my mom wouldn't let it go to the grave site. She said I should be able to keep it.

About two months before Dad passed away, we bought land and a mobile home in Conesus. There was a addition on the back and we bought another one for the front. Now that gave us two more bedrooms. With six kids at the time, we really needed them. The first couple years I loved it out there. When we had been there six or seven years, I totally hated it. Money was very short all the time and my kids remember getting broken things for Christmas because daddy drove truck for a toy store and the men usually could take home the broken stuff at the holidays. I remember one year when they got bikes but they had to have parts fixed before the big day. Usually brakes, stuff like that. Nice remote control cars and trucks that only worked when you pushed them, so we took off the remote and the wires. I don't remember if they were old enough to realize this or not. One year, Mary and Virginia each got a doll that had black paint across their pretty little faces. You see that was how the company knew they didn't work correctly. They slapped a streak of black paint on the face of the doll. I remember how bad I felt giving them to our girls. As adults they have both told me that those were the best dolls they ever got. Even though they were imperfect, they were given in love and received with love. Kind of like what God did when he gave Jesus for us. He gave in love and we need to receive in love. The difference was that Jesus is perfect not imperfect like the little dolls.

To sum up the title and question of today, were we poor? Absolutely not. Don't let anybody ever say you are poor if you don't have money and a lot of material possessions. That is a lie from the pit of hell.

Until tomorrow,

Goodbye and God Bless y'all. ( Just for you Shawn, your favorite word.)

No comments: